Tektite Question

With all the recent discussion of asteroids hitting the earth.  I have
this question for the list.
Has there been any research done with the idea that Tektites were formed
when a large asteroid hit the earth?  As there appears to be only 4 known
major sites with tektites.
New studies that I have read about indicate additional sites with
tektites with varying ages from 5 thousand to 65 million.
Because we have never seen the cause, are they the effect?
Can this be a logical assumption?  Thanks for your attention.

Larry D.