Re: Tektite Question

Larry:
I have often wondered about this as well.  I don't think that one large asteroid could have caused all of the tektites but I do believe that they form from impact events.  For example micro tektites have been found in sediments in Haiti just recently.  These appear to correlate with the Chicxulub impact crater at 65 Ma.  Furthermore, the recently discovered Alamo impact event, north of  Las Vegas, has some odd looking carbonate sphereules that may in fact be tektites.  The appear to have formed when a comet struck a seashore, more specifically a carbonate reef or shelf, vaporized it, and sent it high into the atmosphere.  The "liquid" carbonate then rained down as globules and landed in soft sediment.  The are preserved QUITE well. Anyway, I am babbling....

Matt Morgan

larrydavison wrote:

With all the recent discussion of asteroids hitting the earth.  I have
this question for the list.
Has there been any research done with the idea that Tektites were formed
when a large asteroid hit the earth?  As there appears to be only 4 known
major sites with tektites.
New studies that I have read about indicate additional sites with
tektites with varying ages from 5 thousand to 65 million.
Because we have never seen the cause, are they the effect?
Can this be a logical assumption?  Thanks for your attention.

Larry D.

Follow-Ups: References: