Re: Tektite Question

Ok, here's another Tektite question.  If tektites are so ancient
(millions of years?), then how is it that they are found so well
preserved, and in soil that is of relatively recent accumulation (I am
thinking of a passage from Ninningers book where he describes digging up
Indochinites out of shallow topsoil, if I recall it correctly).  One
would think that geologic processes would cause a lot of wear 'n tear as
well as resulting in deeply buried and therefore relatively scarce
strewn fields.

This has always puzzled me, but perhaps I am misinterpreting the age of
their formation from impact events.

Jim