Re: More Tektite questions.

Dear list, dear Bernd,

in addition to your recently made statement on tektite-colours it can
pointed out:

-a) a tektite-colour scale has been introduced by Bouska and Povondra
1964 which is distinguishing 6 mayor colours in the visible region of
the spectrum:
pale green; light green; bottle green; olive green; poisonous green and
brown
(in German and Czech poisonous is related to green [Giftgrün]; in
English I believe it is related to yellow).
-b) Stair 1955 pointed out that the colour of tektites can be the result
of combined adsorption by Fe- Ni- Cr- and Mn-oxides.
-c) Thorpe and Senftle 1964 stated that the colour of tektites is mostly
given by the Fe(II) content and that the brown colour is the result of
he presence of Fe(III) and dispersed colloidal particles of metallic
iron. [Fe(0)].
-d) On a study based on moldavites Bouska et al. 1982 pointed out that
the colour is affected both, by the total iron content and by the
Fe(II)/Fe(III) -ratio. The Fe(III) content is relatively higher in brown
moldavites.
-e) the colour of „poisoned green“ may be related to Cr2O3 (Glass 1984)
or to Ni-oxides (Bouska et al. 1982).

Your observation on the correlation between the silica contend and the
gradual change of colour is good explainable with the in c) and d)
sketched statements.
Detailed information can be read in Bouska et al 1993.

Best wishes
Wolfgang

Bouska, V.L et al. 1993: Natural glasses. Academia Prag, 354p. (Also
Ellis-Horwood Chicester but factor 10 higher priced). Detailed (but not
a complete) references in this volume.