Re: Odessa

Bernd kindly wrote:
>Are you sure it is an Odessa iron? Pits and holes with compacted
>limestone deeply embedded remind me of Canyon Diablo irons. Buchwald
>mentions caliche incrustations for Canyon Diablos on page 397 of his
>Handbook of Iron Meteorites but there is no mention of such caliche for
>the Odessa irons.

Although less frequently observed compared to Canon Diablo, holes and CaCO3
deposits are found on Odessa irons. The site below is a photograph I have
in the Meteorite Exchange's gallery of an Odessa with a hole.  This one
also represents a similar cleaning as the type Walter mentioned; the WD-40
and dental pick technique. The shiny appearence is the WD-40 coating.

http://www.meteorite.com/gallery/mh_odessawi.jpg

Buchwald does mention that, in fact, the surface features often described
on Odessa as regmaglypts are actually corrosion pits from its long exposure
to subsurface corrosion (p.940). Buchwald also points out the Odessa crater
rim "consists of strongly  folded and thrust-faulted  sequences of
limestone..." and that "caliche has cemented the deposits together,"
describing the upper part of the crater (p.938).

Best Regards,

Martin