Re: Odessa

> I'm in the process or cleaning a chunk of Odessa before cutting and
>  etching.....this piece has several pits and holes but each has compacted
>  limestone deeply embedded. Scraping this limestone out by hand isn't likely
>  leave a very good finish, so.....does anyone know of a method to chemically
>  dissolve the limestone without damaging man or meteorite?

Believe it or not but I successfully removed a rather large calcium carbonate
deposit on an Odessa with a dental probe and WD 40 (I love WD 40).  It wasn't
easy but I was careful not to disturb the finish and it looks great.  If you
take this approach, expect to wear down and constantly refresh the point on
the dental pick.  I use a dremel mototool for this pupose.

-Walter