Re: Odessa

In a message dated 23/03/98 19:53:59 GMT, you write:

<< Hello Rob, hello List,

 Can Scotland really be sunny more than a couple of days per year???
 Well, I'm sorry - let's be serious!!!
 Are you sure it is an Odessa iron? Pits and holes with compacted
 limestone deeply embedded remind me of Canyon Diablo irons.  >>

Hi Bernd,

No, we positively bask in brilliant, Scottish sunshine for at least 11 months
each year.......in mid Summer, we like nothing more than to hitch up our
kilts, break through the top layer of sea ice and cool off with a dip in the
ocean  ~ Even English ex-patriots like me!!

Well, that's my bit done for the Scottish Tourist Board, now back to
business......
I have a couple of Odessa irons both with varying amounts of limestone
embedded. Each was bought from different suppliers as Odessa iron. One in
particular has fairly deep, rusted out holes that might look more interesting
with the limestone removed to show the full contours, but if an acid bath is
likely to attack the metal as well as the limestone, then it's maybe time for
a re-think.
The other iron looks good with the limestone cladding, so that one I'll keep
as natural for sure.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Rob.