Re: Odessa

In your message dated Monday 23, March 1998 you wrote :

> >the Odessa irons.
>
> Although less frequently observed compared to Canon Diablo, holes and CaCO3
> deposits are found on Odessa irons. The site below is a photograph I have
> in the Meteorite Exchange's gallery of an Odessa with a hole.  This one
> also represents a similar cleaning as the type Walter mentioned; the WD-40
> and dental pick technique. The shiny appearence is the WD-40 coating.

The most common way to get rid of such deposits is by brute force! Sulphuric
acid can be used quite effectively but it won't do the meteorite much good.

I've had several people tell me that WD40 has caused problems with their
meteorites, resulting in an increase in corrosion. Others have said they have
had no difficulties. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern, so it
could be that some batches of WD40 aren't as pure as others. It may be best to
avoid using this chemical if at all possible.

--
Phil Bagnall
http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/