Re: Odessa

In a message dated 23/03/98 20:37:31 GMT, you write:

<< Believe it or not but I successfully removed a rather large calcium
carbonate
 deposit on an Odessa with a dental probe and WD 40 (I love WD 40).  It wasn't
 easy but I was careful not to disturb the finish and it looks great.  If you
 take this approach, expect to wear down and constantly refresh the point on
 the dental pick.  I use a dremel mototool for this pupose.

 -Walter

Hello Walter, hello list,

Thanks for the tips....I've always used a spray-on WD40 to protect brushed and
etched irons with good results. I have my larger irons on slowly revolving
turntables under bright spotlights. The heat from the lamps seems to make the
thin film of WD40 coating "evaporate" after a few months, so I have to spray
them regularly to keep them nicely coated. The WD40 also gives them a nice
shine but that might not be to everyone's taste.
If some people are finding that WD40 actually encourages rusting, I think it's
probably down to trapped moisture being held in place by the oily coating and
rusting  the iron from the inside out. I always heat new or freshly etched &
rinsed irons to around 160F for several hours to drive off any trapped
moisture from any porous rusty surfaces or cracks. So far, so good, but if
anyone has had a bad experience with WD40 causing rust, please let us know.

Regards,
Rob.