Barringer Crater Size Object

Gene wrote:

> Has anyone ever calculated the best scenario times for earliest
> detection of say, Tunguska or Barringer Crater size objects?

D.J. Roddy and E.M. Shoemaker (1995) Meteor Crater: Summary of impact
conditions (Meteoritics 30-5, 1995, 567, excerpts):

... the meteorite had a velocity in the range of about 13 to 20 km/s,
probably in the lower part of this range ..., the coherent meteorite
diameter is estimated to have been 45-50 m with a mass of 300,000 -
400,000 t, i.e., large enough to experience less than 1% in both mass
ablation and velocity deceleration. During this time, minor flake-off of
the meteorite's exterior produced a limited number of smaller fragments
that followed the main mass to the impact site, but at greatly reduced
velocities.
... we estimate the kinetic energy of impact to be in the range of 20-40
Mt depending on the energy coupling functions used and corrections for
angle of oblique impact. At impact, terrain conditions were about as we
see them today, a gently rolling plain with outcrops of Moenkopi and a
meter or so of soil cover.

=> ... EMS estimates production of a Meteor Crater-size event should
occur on the continents about every 50,000 yr; interestingly, this is
the age of Meteor Crater.<=

Regards, Bernd

P.S.: Not quite the information you wanted but I'll keep on browsing my
data files.