Finnish meteorite mystery

Hello list,

I subscribed this list just a week ago and I'm very pleased about activity
of the list. I'm very interested about meteorites and impact craters (there
is one impact crater just 20 kilometers from our summer cottage in Northern
Finland).

I like to ask if somebody could check what is wrote in so called Baumhauer´s
catalog about possible Finnish meteorite which fell 6. August 1820. I found
this mention in a A Catalogue of Meteorites and Fireballs, from A.D. 2 to
A.D. 1860 by R.P. Greg. This catalogue can be found in internet address:
http://www.rmplc.co.uk/eduweb/sites/bookman/meteorites/greg.html

Greg´s catalogue about this case:
"1820 6. Aug. Ovelgönne, Finland. aërolitic (according to Baumhauer´s
Catalogue); only a substance like pumice-stone, caused by a stroke of
lightning falling into a hayrick."

First, Ovelgönne (ö = o with dots or this name can also write as Ovelgoenne)
is not a Finnish name. There is a small town called Ovelgönne in Germany. Is
this a translation from Finnish name? What this Ovelgönne means?

I have no way to check this Baumhauer´s Catalogue by myself. I think that
this Catalogue is "Specimen meteorologico-chemicum de orfu lapidum
meteoricorum" by Eduardus Henricus von Baumhauer. Published by Traiecti ad
Rhenum 1844. I like to know what this catalogue told about this 6. Aug. 1820
aërolitic?

I´m interested to heard if this aërolitic of Ovelgönne and Åbo (Å= A with a
ring) meteorite has something to do with each others? I mean that Åbo
meteorite fell before 1827 but nobody knows when or where it fell and what
was its total mass. There is only this 1 gram piece of Åbo olivine-bronzite
chondrite in Paris museum of the natural history. After I found this
Ovelgönne fall I started to wonder if that is the fall of Åbo meteorite?

Can anybody help me with this?

By the way, there is many cases of killer meteorites in this Greg´s
catalogue (1647, stone-fall kill two men on ship-board? 1826 Georgia U.S.
stones fell and killed several people? July 1829? N. America Stone fall; An
Indian killed? End of November 1833 in Kandahar; Afghanistan; person
killed?)  and many other very strange events.

Jarmo
|   Jarmo Moilanen                         |
|   Vattukuja 14 as 14                     |
|   FIN-90460 OULUNSALO                    |
|   Finland                                |
|   Puh. 08-5209 810                       |
|   http://www.netppl.fi/~jarmom/index.htm |