War of the Worlds

Hello Martin, hello List!

Martin wrote:

> I do not know for certain what was going through the mind of Wells
> when he wrote his book, but there was much more going on in the
> world than just a language problem with the word canali.

Right! And Wells’ stories can also be interpreted as warning mankind not
to ‘fool around’ with scientific discoveries that we are unable to cope
with. Not only did Wells foresee motorization but also air raids and gas
war (WW I -> Verdun, etc.).

BTW: Wells also wrote ‘Tbe First Men in the Moon’ (1901).

Sincerely, Bernd