Re: War of the Worlds

hi

well, we know that Wells did express that Lowell's "Mars" was a source of
inspiration for "War....." (i recall the direct quote, but not the text.)

and while there was certainly more going on in the world, please consider
that the completion of the suez canal was THE event of that era.  as canal
madness was all the rage, the building of canals on mars by an ancient
civilization was an invitingly short leap for many commentators following
schiaparelli's discovery.

while the chronology you mentioned was fascinating, it is all extremely
arcane, especially when compared to what was that era's equivalent of going
to the moon. i would be most surprised (and all the more impressed with
wells) by a reliable source that indicates that wells expressed being
influenced by--or was even aware of--the items you mentioned.

anyway...

wishing everyone a nice weekend--and to those in the US who have a long
holiday weekend: make it count.  :)

best-
darryl