wells, lowell, napoleon and armstrong

as it regards martin's previous posting...

interesting stuff.  but it's absurdly reductionist to suggest that i
implied that Wells was inspired by the suez canal.

i merely wished to point out the strength of the Lowell connection:  Wells
expressed that Lowell's work was an inspiration for "War of the Worlds,"
and as far as i am aware, he did not express that his inspiration was
Charles Darwin.

As it regards Martin's time-line, in much the same way that the events of
july, 1969, are still very much part of our collective consciousness, i
would submit that the completion of the suez was still a vivid part of
Lowell's and his contemporaries.

finally, i do not subscribe to the notion that napoleon's conception of a
suez canal detracted from the realization and memorability of the event.
(did Wells' story of a manned mission to the moon detract from the glory of
Apollo XI?  I don't think so.)

anyway, i'm outta here.  again, good weekend to all.

-d