Tambo Quemado

Hello Marlin, hello Martin, hello List!

The Tambo Quemado article in Meteorite! Vol 4-2, 1998, p.13, is a very
interesting one. Martin's photo (unlike V.Buchwald's photo on page 1175
of the Big Gray Book) reminds me of one of my Toluca slices. Were it not
for the different groups (IIIB - IA) and differing bandwidths (0.75 ±
0.10 / 1.40 ± 0.20), one might mistake one for the other - at least at
first sight. I'm attaching a JPEG of my Toluca slice.

With regard to the cohenite problem, V. Buchwald writes: It is very  h a
r d  but also  d u c t i l e ... Its hardness is ... significantly
higher than that of schreibersite (p. 100 of the BGB).

> the initial [Tambo Quemado] main mass was traded for a 'quantity of
> cement'.

It may be worthwile adding that the Indians needed the cement for their
public school.

> the plessite fields are so dark ...

V. Buchwald describes 11 different forms of plessite:

01) pearlitic plessite
02) spheroidized plessite
03) acicular plessite
04) comb plessite
05) net plessite
06) cellular plessite
07) finger plessite
08) black plessite
09) duplex plessite
10) degenerated plessite
11) altered plessite

Which one is responsible for Tambo Quemado's dark plessite fields?
Buchwald  d o e s  write that 'comb and net plessite are particularly
common in groups IIIA-IIIB' but do these plessite varieties account for
the dark 'shade'?

Best wishes from Germany,

Bernd