Re: FW: A e r o g e l

>Professor Don Brownlee (of Brownlee particle fame), Stardust Mission
>Principal Investigator, recently gave a lecture at the University of
>Washington on the mission.

Some background on Brownlee.  He's done considerable research on
extraterrestrial dust, including the collection of such from the Earth's
upper atmosphere.  He's the Principal Investigator of the STARDUST
project, meaning he is solely responsible for the mission. He has
selected JPL and Lockheed-Martin as partners, and they both
report to him.  This unusual arrangment is mandated by the Discovery
program, of which STARDUST is the 4th one selected.  In addition
to collecting cometary material from Comet Wild-2, STARDUST will also
be collecting interstellar dust passing through our solar system.

>Brownlee also showed a new JPL video on the Stardust Mission =
>that was very well done (the computer-generated graphics were =
>incredible).  This will be a great mission to follow...

The video is being converted to electronic format (probably as a
Quicktime movie) and will be available on the STARDUST home page
"real soon".

Ron Baalke