Re: US DOD FIREBALL RELEASE

>> Also, the recent nuclear tests by India perfectly illustrates theissue of
>> national security, and real dangers involved with releasing data from
military
>> survellance satellites.

>I agree about the satellite data, but what I was asking about was data
>from the no longer operational acoustic array.

What is the acoustic array?  If it no longer operational, then the
data can probably be obtained via the Freedom of Information Act.
Have you tried to obtain the data via this route?

>It still seems a shame that Gene Shoemaker was attempting to retrieve
>from weather barometer data the
>same events that were already documented by the
>acoustic array.

Was Shoemaker even aware that the acoustic array data existed?

>NASA is not equipped to undertake planetary defense,
>but the AF is.

True.  Planetary defense, or asteroid deflection is an expensive
undertaking, and I don't think it should be attempted unless there
is a known threat of an asteroid or comet that is going to impact
Earth.

Ron Baalke