Re: The Fight for Truth, Justice & the American Way, in Monahans!

>>>Wrong again.  If the boys had sold it to a reputable dealer, the dealer would
>>>have found out what it was and there would be many papers being written on it
>>>even as I write this.

>>Or it could of ended up in the trash, just like the St. Louis meteorite.

>I have never heard of any dealers throwing meteorites away in the trash!

True, neither have I.  Of course, I never said dealers throw away their
meteorites.  The St. Louis meteorite was owned by a private individual.

>My experience is that it is University collections that are famous for getting
>things lost!  Dealers and private collectors who have their own cash invested
>into the rocks, tend to have far more respect for the care of them.

The St. Louis meteorite, which was owned by a private collector, did in
fact end up in the garbage dump.

>>Note that the blue crystals were discovered
>>after-the-fact, so the initial $1,000 price estimate is still not
>>"misinformation".  >>

>> You do bring up an important point about selling to a dealer.  If it is
>> sold to a dealer, then the price will be at wholesale so the dealer
>> can then sell it at retail prices.  In other words, substantionaly lower
>> than $1/gram.  In fact, this would make the $1,000 price estimate
>> now look high.  I'm glad you brought up this important point.

>No, dealers would pay say $5/g for a fresh fall of only ~2,500g and resell it
>around $10/g (maybe more) in smaller prices.  Right dealers? (Where are you
>Blood, Farmer, Mitterling, Martinez, Morgan, Pitt, Casper, and the rest of
>you, am I right?)

Dealers will try to buy meteorites at the lowest price they can get away with
(ie: wholesale price).  Please, anybody, correct me if I'm wrong on this.
If a dealer bought the meteorite the day that Everett Gibson first saw the
meteorite, before the blue crystals were known, it no doubt would of been
bought for under $1,000.

I admit the Monahans meteorite is worth more now, now that Gibson has
released his report detailing the blue crystals. Obviously, Gibson could
not have known the results of his tests beforehand, when he was at the fall
site and made his $1,000 price estimate.

>Let's take a poll, anyone out there willing to buy 100 grams or more of this
>at a wholesale price of $10/g, post this to the list to show Ron that that is
>a good wholesale price?

Better yet, let's found out how many dealers have bought common chondrites
for $1/gram or less.  I'll bet you'll find there is quite a few.

Ron Baalke