Re: The Fight for Truth, Justice & the American Way, in Monahans!

>>>Which this brings up a real interesting question, If the meteorite hit
>>>first
>>>on private land but then bounced onto public land (or for argument sakes lets
>>>say it bounced onto on another piece of private property owned by someone
>>>else) who should get to own it?

>> A very interesting question.
>> My vote would go to the property that the meteorite came to rest in, after
>> it had stopped bouncing around.

>So Canada can't come after the Williamette since it origionally landed in
>Canada before it was transported to Oregon via a glacier!  I am sure the
>American Museum is sighing a sigh of relief!

Well, if Canada wanted to make a claim on the Williamette meteorite, they would
first have to establish that it had really landed
in Canada (the glacier transport theory is speculation, and even
if true would be very difficult to pinpoint where the meteorite has been).
Then if they
did prove it really landed in Canada, and it was transported to Oregon
via glacier, they still have to deal with the fact that the meteorite
left Canada thousand of years ago, well before Canada ever even existed
as a sovereign country.  On that point alone, Canada would surely lose.

In case of meteorite finds (as opposed to falls), I'll revise my
statement to say my vote of who would own the meteorite would go to the
property owner that the meteorite came to rest in at the time it was
discovered.

Ron Baalke