Re: Maralinga

drtanuki schrieb:

> Hello List, I am looking for information about a specimen that David
> New Co. sold Labeled Carbonaceous Chondrite CK4  Maralinga, South
> Australia, Found 1974 TKW 3.3KG.

Hello Dirk, Walt, Martin and List!

Here is some more information about Maralinga:

One mass of 3.30 kg was found on a sandy ridge.Olivine Fa 32.9 to 34.6,
contains magnetite, 0.5%  Ni in olivine, analysis J. Clark and C. B.
Moore, Center for Meteorite Studies, Arizona State University, AZ 85258,
U.S.A. Classification and additional analysis, low-Ca pyroxene Fs 28,
feldspar An 33-54, G.W. Kallemeyn, A.E.Rubin and J.T.Wasson, GCA (1991)
in press. Main mass David New, P.O. Box 278, Anacortes, Washington
98221, U.S.A.

L.P.Keller, J.C.Clark, C.F.Lewis et al. (1992) Maralinga, a
metamorphosed carbonaceous chondrite found in Australia (Meteoritics 27,
87-91): Bulk composition of Maralinga indicates close affinities to the
Vigarano-type carbonaceous chondrites. It differs from Karoonda in that
bulk Ca/Si and Al/Si are higher and the S/Si lower in Maralinga.
Karoonda and other metamorphosed carbonaceous chondrites have a low
abundance of chondrules whereas Marlinga has more abundant chondrules.
Of the metamorphosed carbonaceous chondrites, only the Coolidge CV4
chondrite has a higher chondrule/matrix ratio than Maralinga.

GEIGER T. et al. (1991) Maralinga - A new metamorphosed carbonaceous
chondrite (Lunar Planetary Sci. 22, 433-434).

Australia, South Australia
30o 18' S / 131o 16' E
Find 1974
Recognized 1989