Dear List Members:

I realize that Wabar Glass is difficult to find, unless you happen to be
at the impact site.  That would be normal.

The Wabar Crater is located in Saudi Arabia.  Being in the "Empty
Quarter" of Arabia it has traditionally been accessed only by camel
train. There are no roads to it but it can be accessed by the same jeeps
in the car advertisement, "Going to Bakersfield?" "Yeah? 'Over' the
mountain."

A dynamic picture of it (a word that only enthusiastic meteorite fans
would use) can be found in Dr. Paul Hodge's book "Meteorite Craters and
Impact Structures of the Earth" pg. 119. REALLY unique stuff, very
unlike the traditional impact materials formed at other sites around the
world.

It is a frothy impact glass with many small glass beads in it called the
"Pearls of al'Ad' - and a reported legend about a fabled lost city which
had supposedly been rich, 'bad,' and destroyed by an angry God.

Information on the geology of the area seems to be scanty and there is
definite proof of impact for the site.

A intriguing photo of this material is on its way.  Thanks to the list,
and if there is anyone with a sample, please give me a holler. I'd lilke
more than just a photo.
          Best,  Sarah Kennedy

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: