Re: Responses (Wabar)

Sarah Kennedy schrieb:

> Dear List Members: I realize that Wabar Glass is difficult to find,
> unless you happen to be at the impact site. That would be normal.
> The Wabar Crater is located in Saudi Arabia. Being in the "Empty
> Quarter" of Arabia it has traditionally been accessed only by camel
> train. An intriguing photo of this material is on its way. Best,
> Sarah Kennedy

1) GLASS B.P. (1998) 'Silica '96': Meeting on Libyan Desert Glass and
Related Desert Events edited by Vincenzo de Michele (Book Review in MAPS
33-4, 1998, 951).

2) SEE T.H. et al. (1998) Compositional variation and mixing of impact
melts on microscopic scales (MAPS 33-4, 1998, 937-948):

=> a beautiful color photo of a dumbbell-shaped Wabar specimen on page
939 (see also figure 5 on page 943).

=> Wabar Crater information on pages 940 + 944.

3) NORTON O.R. Rocks From Space, 1st + 2nd editions, pp. 143-145: Wabar
Crater Field

=> see also Plate II for color photo for 4,500-pound Wabar meteorite - a
beautiful oriented mass.

=> en enlarged version of this pic is to be found in the March 1995
magazine of  SKY & TEL (page 56), where O.R. Norton's first edition of
"Rocks From Space" is reviewed.

4) BUCHWALD V., Handbook of Iron Meteorites, Vol. 3, pp. 1269-1273 and
the "Nejed" fragments, pp. 1273-1275.

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at: