Orionids

http://medicine.wustl.edu/~kronkg/orionids.html
--
Well, this morning was a wash for meteor counting.  Because of high
clouds and reflected light, no useful data was obtained.  But yesterday
morning we got in a solid hour of counting during the maximum:

                                    Limiting
Date       Time (PDT)        Count  magnitude
22 Oct 98   5:05 - 6:05 a.m.   18       ~4.3

As a "warm-up" for the Leonids, I've been taking small groups of
interested (but beginner) meteor counters out during the Persids,
Draconids, and Orionids, in order to prepare them for the Leonids.
"Warm-up" is the key word, here.  In spite of my warnings to dress warm
enough, still two women were quite uncomfortable and may not return. One
of the women was disappointed, because she thought this was the Leonids!
But before she went home, she said, "This was the best shower, yet!
Can't wait for next month's shower."

Our count of 18 approached the predicted ZHR of 20 for the maximum, and
included 3 crowd-pleasing persistant trains and at least 2 noticeable
sporadics.  I say at least 2, because one "Orionid" was remarkably slow.

The connection to meteorites is this.  I'm taking another small group
out this Saturday evening / Sunday morning to Lucerne Dry Lake, Lucerne
Valley, San Bernardino County, CA to join with some of my meteorite
hunting friends.  Our combined group will canvas the dry lake bed for
meteorites.  If your in the area, drop by - the more people the better.
You can't miss us - we'll be in the middle of the dry lake!

Wish us luck,
Bolide*chaser
http://members.tripod.com/~bolidechaser/lucerne/ldl.htm
--
"How can you benefit humanity, if humanity has not a clue to

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: