Re: Poll ("market price" of Canyon Diablo)

Dear Brad, Michael, and list,

I have been watching the prices of Canyon Diablo for almost a year now, and
have kept notes about what has been available and at what price. A retail
price of $75/lb ($0.165/gm) would be an exceptionally good deal at present,
and would probably only be found for larger individuals weighing several
kilos. The only offer I know at this level at present is from Erich
Haiderer, who is asking $0.15/gm ($68/lb) for quality ***larger***
individuals 1.5 kg and larger. This is an exception; the next best price I
know of is considerably higher.

Disclaimer: I have no business connection with Erich, and have not even
bought anything from him yet.

I bought a gorgeous 2.7 kg individual from Marvin and Kitty Kilgore months
ago for $0.22/gm and considered that a representative price at the time
after considerable looking around. This is an example supporting Brad's
statement that "market value is determined by how much a collector is
willing to pay for a certain piece." CDs are art pieces as well as
scientific specimens, and are priced and paid for according to their
aesthetic qualities, which results in a considerable spread in "market price."

I think it is also fair to say that "market price" is influenced by a
dealer's reputation. All other factors being equal, I would consider an
established and trusted dealer's price as more representative than
occasional super offers from individuals (though I haven't seen any CDs at
bargain prices in the classifieds for a long time).

Furthermore, the prices of smaller individuals are considerably higher than
$75/lb. Typical low end retail prices for individuals of various size
ranges at present:

500-1500 gm $0.22-$0.30/gm
 150-500 gm $0.30-$0.40
  50-150 gm $0.35-$0.45

And yes, you can find retail prices considerably HIGHER than these if you
look around.

If anyone knows of better retail prices than these ACTUALLY BEING OFFERED,
I would love to know about it. It is really unfortunate that one of the
most affordable meteorites is going the way of the rest of the market and
skyrocketing in price.

As an aside, Norton mentions in the chapter on Meteor Crater in his book
"Rocks from Space":

[during the 1890s] "... miners hauled away tons of iron meteorites, loaded
them on railroad cars, and shipped them to smelters in El Paso, Texas,
where they were melted down and made into various iron products. Probably
more than 20 tons were collected. There must be tools and machines still in
use today that are made of celestial iron."

Obviously, the "market price" was at a different level at the turn of the
century.

Best wishes to all from blustery Amsterdam,

Piper

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: