MES etch patterns (revisited)

http://home1.gte.net/bverish/vaca13.jpg
http://home1.gte.net/bverish/vaca19.jpg
http://home1.gte.net/bverish/vaca20.jpg

On 9/9/98, Mike Farmer wrote:

> Hello list members,
> ----SNIP!------
> I also wonder if anyone has some ideas of how this formed, after you look at these brecciated pieces of stone immersed in metal! This meteorite is truly an enigma and I think it will take a long time for the scientists to unlock it's secrets.
> -----SNIP!-------
>
> Click here to go see what I mean!
> http://www.theskyisfalling.com/portales/index.html
>
> Mike Farmer

Back in April, I made the following post to this List.  I had produced a
(microscopic) etch pattern in a specimen of Vaca Muerta that I had
purchased from Michael.  Back then, I posed several questions regarding
what sort of cooling rates were necessary for Fe-Ni to form a micro
Widmanstatten pattern after two meteoroids had collided.  I resubmit
this question for comments/opinions.

My original post was brought to mind, after I read the follwing quote
which comes from darryl pitt's Portales Valley Meteorite web page
(referenced by Farmer):
> "Scientists originally thought PV to be a mesosiderite. It was then widely thought to be an H6 impact melt. However, the iron contained within impact melts does not etch...and the iron in PV etches."

Let me end with this - not knowing that "impact melt [iron] does not
etch" I naively etched my Vaca Muerta specimen with the assumption that
all alloys must etch!

My original post follows:

--
http://home1.gte.net/bverish/vaca13.jpg
http://home1.gte.net/bverish/vaca19.jpg
http://home1.gte.net/bverish/vaca20.jpg
--
"How can you benefit humanity, if humanity has not a clue to

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: