Re: Portales

Geoff, would that "dealer" be me? I presume it is since I had the most to sell
originally. If you do your homework, which would be work which Ill simply spare
you now, you could have gone into the list archive to find my postings only hours
after returning from the trip to Portales. I described for the whole list, that
there were specimens that were stone and there were specimens that were metal and
stone mix.  It was not until over one month later that the first metal-rich piece
was cut to show the interior. Bob Haag refused to cut any of his (rightly so since
they are all incredible specimens). The metal-rich one I found is oriented and
covered in flow lines, making very fleeting any thoughts of cutting it! to make a
long story short,  was there a mad rush to get Portales for sale? Yes and no,
first there were several people with specimens for sale so when you invest tens of
thousands of other peoples and your own money, you do indeed tend to try and
recover the principle and make some extra pretty quickly if you have no other
money. I suppose I should have threw it all into a safe or buried it in a jar but
unfortunately I am a poor college student  and the bills continue to come in much
more regularly than stars fall from the sky. So unfortuantely I had to sell it. I
did see that this was not "ordinary" meteorite immediately even though the rumors
sure flew from people who had never so much as seen a specimen.  I don't hear
those rumors anymore lately though, especially after my photos of the etched
specimens went out unintentionally.
Thoese who bought specimens from me have so far all been satisfied, I have had no
returns, some people (including myself ) certainly want the metal specimens more
than the stone specimens after they were cut. I myself had to buy a slice from
another dealer until a new find was offered to me which was the one I  had cut up
and sold.
Either way you look at it Geoff, the stone pieces are still "Portales Valley" even
though they might not be as pretty as the stone-metal mix pieces.
Maybe Kenneth Star can come to my house and uncover the great "Meteorite Caper"
conspiracy to defraud people which must be here right?
Mike Farmer

Geoffcin@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/11/98 6:19:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  Frank Stroik wrote:
>
>  > Is it not strange that Portales is in more private hands than in
>  > institutions? Maybe I am wrong, but should not formal description,
>  > cataloging and research come before sales? Just a thought.
>  >
>  > Frank
>
>  Yes Frank,   I think there was a "mad" rush to get this meteorite up for
> sale,  long before anyone had any time to study it.   Portales Valley seems to
> be very different depending on which rock you have,  and several people here
> have payed a lot for what looks like a common chondrite with NO iron veins,
> not the iron/stone mix that is being displayed now,  most likely not knowing
> that this type of portales even existed.   (I bet the dealer did!  )
>
>  There's a great old movie,  "Treasure of the Sierra Madre",   substitute
> meteorite for gold, and you woudn't be far from the truth about whats up with
> Portales.
>
> Regards,
> Geoff Cintron

> Archives located at: