Re: Portales

By the way, my message was a little vague, perhaps sounding like I bought Portales
as an investment. I did not go there with any other purpose but to find or buy a
fresh new meteorite, whatever it may be. But we live in the real world, so I did
happily buy  specimens for resale. Geoff, if you want to finance my next
expedition or wild goose chase, you can send your contributions to me at my home
address on my website. With your money, ill gladly wait until the meteorites are
fully classified and studied before I crawl out of the sewer to sell them.
Thanks
Mike

Geoffcin@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/11/98 6:19:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  Frank Stroik wrote:
>
>  > Is it not strange that Portales is in more private hands than in
>  > institutions? Maybe I am wrong, but should not formal description,
>  > cataloging and research come before sales? Just a thought.
>  >
>  > Frank
>
>  Yes Frank,   I think there was a "mad" rush to get this meteorite up for
> sale,  long before anyone had any time to study it.   Portales Valley seems to
> be very different depending on which rock you have,  and several people here
> have payed a lot for what looks like a common chondrite with NO iron veins,
> not the iron/stone mix that is being displayed now,  most likely not knowing
> that this type of portales even existed.   (I bet the dealer did!  )
>
>  There's a great old movie,  "Treasure of the Sierra Madre",   substitute
> meteorite for gold, and you woudn't be far from the truth about whats up with
> Portales.
>
> Regards,
> Geoff Cintron

> Archives located at: