Opposition: Conducive to any argument.

In any majority view, there may be a need to evaluate what exactly the
majority is discussing. Although the many may agree as to what a certain
truth is, they may negelect what other truths of equal validity may
encompass. By this admission, the real truth may never be found.

I wrote a comment recently about the Portales meteorite. I realized
after the message returned that it seems somewhat snooty. I apologize
for this. I wanted to take the opposite side of an argument, and see if
it would ellicit a stream of opinions, and views. This, I believe is a
prudent course in any forum.

As regards to the purchase, and selling of meteorites, I have basicly no
opinion. I think that science should come first, and institutions should
not have to pay for their samples. Other than this I bow out of the ring
of the collector and seller. I do believe happy mediums can be reached,
and are reached frequently between the dealer and scientist.

Final note. I will always assume an unpopular side of any argument,
regardless if it is fruitful for me or not. By doing this, it ensures
others are adequetly defending their position, and have sufficient
evidence, and/or reasons to uphold their view. This form of argument is
not geared at the indivdual, as that is making a false argument seem as
though it is a truth. By pointing to one person, or group of people and
utilizing preconcieved notions about the said individuals, one negates
his/her own argument. Therfore it seems appropriate to argue facts and
reason, and not positions of inferiority, or superiority. As my first
advisor in geology told me, " Always take your sinking ships to the
bottom of the ocean. This way you have assured yourself that all avenues
have been explored."

I appreciate Mr. Farmer for bring to my attention the part he has played
in the role of Portales.  That was good news to me, if that makes any
difference to anyone.

Thanks for listening,

Frank