ADV: StarFall Database - $48

Members of this list may like to know that the 1998 version of the StarFall
Non-Antarctic Meteorite Database is now available for $48.

StarFall contains details of more than 4,600 non-Antarctic meteorites. It is
available as a Borland dBASE DBF file, and as an ASCII text file.

I originally assembled the database for my own use (I was fed up of having
to wade through umpteen journals to find basic information), but it occurred
to me that others may find it useful.

StarFall lacks some of the features and information you would expect to find
in more expensive databases, but do you really need to know the abundance of
certain isotopes? Nonetheless, it is still useful for looking up basic data.

Each entry in the database contains information on whether the meteorite was a
fall or a find, its name and location (country and co-ordinates), the date
of its discovery, weight, class and how many meteorites were found. A
reference field directs the user to further information.

The database may be updated by the user as and when new information comes
to light. New meteorites may also be added. Users who have access to e-mail
will receive annual updates free of charge together with Errata information.
So if I continue to run the database for the next 20 years you will have
paid just $2.40 a year - which can't be bad.

StarFall should not be seen as an alternative to either the British Museum's
"Catalogue of Meteorites" or the "Meteoritical Bulletin" and users are advised
to check both sources.

For further information please visit:

http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/starfall.htm

--