Re: NO, NO, NO MR. STROIK.

When I first subscribed to this list it was with the understanding that the
list was for those interested in meteorites, not personal attacks, profit,
posturing, etc. etc.  Most recently, a simple question apparently first
broached by Frank Stroik has blossomed into what is now labeled on this list
as the Portales "Feud".  Franks original legitimate question was as follows:

"Is it not strange that Portales is in more private hands than in
institutions? Maybe I am wrong, but should not formal description,
cataloging and research come before sales? Just a thought."

Good question and answered by Mike Farmer and others in latrer posts.  Frank
had the grace to apologize to all for what he described as a "snooty"
message.  His apology was unwarranted as there is nothing wrong with the
question.  The problem is in the spirit with which the question was handled
by all of us, including me.  After what was later perceived as a personal
attack on Mike Farmer (by someone else, not Frank Stroik) several of us
answered with posts in Mike's defense.  In hindsight, I should have
responded off-list, but the posts concerning Mike (all but THINLY veiled)
should have been off-list as well.  After Monahans and now Portales, I am
tempted to follow Frank from the list.  I will not as yet in the hope that
it will improve and leave the personal stuff (kidding or not) to off-list
comments (I am not advocating censorship as I and others have been accused
recently...just good old fashioned respect and honest inquiry).  Without the
Frank Stroiks, Ron Baalkes, etc. on this list it will deteriorate and cease
to be a resource for all of us.  I have learned a great deal from reading
appropriate posts here, but it is getting harder to weed out the wheat from
the chaff.  I have very little to contribute in terms of expertise to this
list (being a lowly biologist), but I would hate to see the real experts
abandon this list.  I hope Frank will reconsider if the list cleans up its
act.

Respectfully to all,

Steve Ervin

Dr. Stephen Ervin