List; Nitol (again)

Hi,
I am a relative newcomer to this list, and I'm disturbed by
the type of rhetoric that has been occurring lately.
Personally, I think a more tolerant view of others' opinions
is in order. The childish flame wars due to differences of
opinion (sometimes quite minor) are somewhat analogous to
conflicting religious dogmas leading to tension when the
parties involved pray to the same god. Yes, these rocks are
special. I only have a few specimens, but what I do have I
appreciate; I understand their origin and rarity. I also
understand market forces and human greed. I simply won't buy
samples that are too expensive. It seems to me that some
people have traded their love of meteorites for the love of
money, and, as they say, you can't take it with you.

On a more non-esoteric note...Ron Baalke wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Since you think my posts on meteorites and their parent
bodies
> (comets, asteroids, Mars, Moon) are inappropriate for the
list, I
> will unsubsribe to the list immediately, and will no
longer post
> to the list.
>
> Goodbye to the list.  It was fun while it lasted.
>
> Ron Baalke

I would like to see Ron's post in the future. I find them
fascinating. Why he can't post 'em here? As has already been
mentioned, you can skip over them or delete them. Same for
"newby" posts. I posted a question about etchants that never
made it thru, I don't know why, but apparently there is
little interest in "newby" questions here. Well, here goes:
is there a substitute for Nital that I can buy or make
myself? I just acquired a 600 gr. piece of Gibeon (a
meteorite I could afford) and it needs to be re-etched. It
also has a small amount of rust, any ideas as to the best
way to remove it?

Thanks,
Brian Boldman

Archives located at: