Re: Iridium near fossils?

Bill -
    No fossils have been found with the Ir. You
must remember that the K-T impact literally set the entire surface of
the Earth on fire, and hence the
corpses of the dead dinosaurs on the other side of the Earth were
burned before they could fossilize.  The hemisphere where the K-T
impact occured was covered
over a good part by clouds of red and white hot molten
rock and the dinosaurs there were most likely immolated.  The K-T
Impact was followed by years of
acid, so corpses in the oceans were most likely
dissolved before they could fossilize.
   In other words, most likely there was nothing
left to fossilize.
                                   Best wishes -
                                       Ed

---William Blair  wrote:

> Thanks to all for the explanation of the K-T boundary layer.
> I am aware that it seems to mark the date of extinction of the
> dinosaurs.  However, what I'd like to know is whether or not
> any of the adjacent layers of earth or rock removed when large
> dinosaur fossils are excavated have been found to be highly
> enriched in iridium. In other words, proof of the impact theory
> by direct association with a dead dinosaur rather than just by
> the dating of a layer of rock.
>
> Bernd Pauli wrote:
> >
> > William Blair schrieb:
> >
> > > Assuming, as I do,  that the impact theory of dinosaur
extinction is
> > > correct, I'd expect the layers in which dinosaur fossils are found
> > > to be enriched with the iridium from the asteroid that killed
them.
> > > Has this been found to be the case?
> >
> > Hello William, hello List,
> >
> > Yes, the K-T boundary layer (deposited within 200 years) after the
> > impact of the asteroid (10-15 km / 6-10 miles in diameter) that
killed
> > the dinosaurs, is dramatically enriched in iridium. Dinosaur
skeletons
> > are found in the strata underlying the boundary layer (which became
> > their "death blanket"). Absolutely no dinosaurs are to be found in
the
> > overlying strata!
> >
> > 1) There is a 30-fold increase in iridium concentration in a thin
layer
> > of clay that separates the highest Cretaceous and the lowest
Tertiary
> > limestone beds near Gubbio, Italy.
> >
> > 2) On a sea cliff south of Copenhagen, Denmark, the thin layer of
clay
> > marking the K-T transition, shows a 160-fold enhancement of iridium.
> >
> > 3) Another K-T boundary site, in New Zealand, is also marked by a
large
> > Ir anomaly. The boundary clay is approximately 1 cm thick and the
Ir and