Re: Iridium near fossils?

Frank Stroik wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody had a scientific paper reference on the
> global fire scenario. I know that popular media has mentioned it, but is
> there actual proof? I have looked myself at various places for a paper,
> but nothing specific. So if you can help, that would be great.
>
> The reason I ask, is I regularly cross the K/T boundary in my line of
> work, at various localites, and never have seen this supposed layer, I
> kind of doubt it's existence.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank

    This is part  a web page on the K-T boundary.

Evidence of a global fire. Soot appears at the K-T boundary at many sites, but
where did it come from?
Chemical analyses of these soots show an enhanced concentration of polycyclic
aromatic hydrocarbons
over soots above and below the boundary. This is strong evidence of pyrolytic
action at the K-T boundary;
i.e., widespread fires. (Venkatesan, M.I., and Dahl, J.; "Organic Geochemical
Evidence for Global Fires at
the Cretaceous/Tertiary Boun dary," Nature, March 2, 1989.) Fire could have been
initiated by either
volcanism or impacts.

The web page is at http://www.knowledge.co.uk/frontiers/sf063/sf063g13.htm

Mike