Re: Dinosaur Extinction: Impact vs Volcanoes

Bernd Pauli wrote:

> M e t e o r i t i c versus  v o l c a n i c  events at the Cretaceous /
> Tertiary boundary - An Australian perspective. F.L. Sutherland. Division
> of Earth Sciences, The Australian Museum, 6-8 College Street, Sydney,
> NSW, 2000, Australia.
>
> A review of the end Cretaceous extinction debate (Sutherland, 1988)
> concluded that the cause 'was a coincidence of both impact and volcanic
> cycles coming together, but not necessarily the first directly causing
> the other.' New literature expands such views on dual, but uncoupled
> causes.

Although it's just a guess, couldn't a massive impact somehow trigger
volcanic eruptions?  There would then be no "coincidence" necessary.
Perhaps _both_ the volcanic and impact theories are correct, but all of
these environmentally disruptive events were _triggered_ by the impact?

> Coincidental, but independent, northern impacts and largely southern hot
> spot outbursts seem to fit present data.

I've read somewhere, that the anti-nodal(?) point from the impact would
experience incredible earthquakes due to the reflected/refracted shock
waves propagating through the earth from the point of impact.  Is this
true and, if so, has anyone been looking for evidence of this?  The
anti-nodal point of the suspect crater was/is in the southern hemisphere.
Couldn't this explain the southern hotspots?

Bill Blair

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: