Re: Norton County Fiasco

Steve Arnold kindly wrote:

"Once upon a time I had the chance to read an "aborted chapter" from one of
Dr. Nininger's books that described in detail the behind the scenes of that
event."

I believe the "aborted chapter" Steve is referring to is called "The Norton
County, Kansas Meteorite: A Factual Statement in the Interest of
Safeguarding Research"

Dr. Nininger wrote this article to explain his side of the story rebuking
the information Lapaz was decimating.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on who you are, this release was
accidentally published in the Published Papers of H.H. Nininger (1971), by
Arizona State University (Special Publication No. 9).

The reason I say accidentally is that Nininger's statement was never
published anywhere and therefore does not belong in this book. It was
thought that the article appeared in the Arizona Sun, but apparently this
was not the case. When the Published Papers was printed, the University of
New Mexico pointed out the error, and Carleton Moore issued an apology.

If you have a copy of the Nininger's Published Papers, Nininger's statement
is found on page 558. Later copies of Published Papers contained a note
from Dr. Moore at ASU pointing out the error. Dr. Moore goes further and
offers interested parties "A critical commentary on the article by Dr.
LapazŠ."

I have not yet seen Lapaz's rebuttal offered by ASU so if anyone out there
has, I would very much like to hear about it, or better yet see it.

On a side note, Lapaz, in his book Space Nomads, lists the largest fragment
of Norton County as the Furnas County, Nebraska meteorite because it was
actually found in Nebraska, not Kansas. However the first fragments of the
fall were found in Norton County, Kansas so the Furnas County, Nebraska
stone is considered the principle fragment of the Norton County fall.

Gosh Steve, I'm tired. Can I count this as my essay?

Cheers,

Martin

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: