Re: Kiagorod & Vyatka meteorite question

At 05:04 PM 9/29/98 , you wrote:
>I bought a meteorite slice from a Russian Doctor that he called "Vjatka". It
>was found in Russia in 1992 and is an H-4 and has a 35 kg. total weight.
>Vjatka is the same area where "Kiagorod" was found and further study tells
>me these are the same meteorite as their descriptions match and I can find
>no listing for Vjatka.
>
>While I was looking for a listing for Vjatka I came across a meteorite
>called "Vyatka" that was found in 1992 with a total weight of 35 kg. also an
>H-4 from Russia. The mass was reported lost.
>
>Does anyone know if Kiagorod, Vjatka & Vyatka are the same meteorite and is
>Kiagorod an official name for Vjatka? These names and descriptions all match
>closely.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>John Sinclair

John and group,

The Nomenclature Committee is working on this question right now.
The Russian Committee on Meteorites thinks that the answer is yes,
"Kaigorod" and Vyatka are the same meteorite.  In a few weeks, scientists
in Moscow will have a piece of "Kaigorod," and will make a side-by-
side comparison to test this hypothesis.  Then the Nomenclature
will publish its recommendations on what to call these stones
(i.e., either formalize the name "Kaigorod" or some other variant,
or call all the material Vyatka).

The circumstantial evidence certainly favors the story that
"Kaigorod" is the missing main mass of Vyatka, as you point out.

(See http://www.uark.edu/studorg/metsoc/metbull/m77txt.htm for
info on Vyatka).

jeff

Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman, Editor, Meteoritical Bulletin
US Geological Survey
954 National Center
Reston, VA 20192, USA
phone: (703) 648-6184