Re: Donations of meteorites

Dear list and John,

Last year, John Blennert sent a post to the list stating he had some Gold
Basin for donation. I took a chance and contacted him to see if there were
any available for a small local college that has an astronomy dept. and a
new observatory were I work. I got a call from the head of the astro dept
the next day and he was excited to say the least. John had contacted him and
soon after, a parcel of complete individual GB meteorites arrived.  These
were the first meteorites for the school's now growing collection. They have
been shown to the entire Board of Trustees, used in the classroom for the
students to study and will be displayed in conjunction with the observatory
for the public to see. One has been cut in half, polished and is quite
striking to see.

Most surprising to the school was that a meteorite hunter in Arizona would
send meteorites across the country to our community college at no cost and
the quality and quantity of what was donated. John started the meteorite
collection for this school and has created an interest with the students and
faculty that otherwise would not have happened.

Guilford Technical Community College is a place that won't forget John
Blennert. Thanks John.

John Sinclair

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: