Re: Meteorite "worth"

Stu wrote:
"Meteorites move me, inspire me and excite me. And if one's price matches my
interest in it / desire for it, and I have enough cash then I'll get it, it's
not a difficult thing! I don't scroll down an online page, or flip through
Haag's catalogue and think about how much the iron or nickel the meteorites
contains is actually worth, I don't moan about how it's a lot of money for
something so small... I think "Wow, that's cool..." or "That's
**beautiful**..."

You know?
Stu"

   Yup Stu, I know! But I'll add that the main thing that attracts *me* to
meteorites is the fact that they are not from Earth, they are TRUE
extraterrestrial material. They aren't made in a shop, they aren't made on
Earth anywhere. They excite and inspire me too as most things astronomical do.
It doesn't matter to me what the cost of Iron goes for today, the iron in
these meteorites wasn't made on Earth, the silicate materials in the stones
weren't formed on Earth. Even though they may be the same stuff we find in
Earth rocks they were not formed here! They are pieces of asteroids or Mars
or the Moon. That just blows my mind. To me it isn't what their made of,
it's where they came from. That has to have an effect on prices as well I'd
bet.

I recently (finally!) bought a piece of DAG 400. A piece of the moon. This
little fragment is sitting here in front of me and it blows my mind. Now to
most of you on the list this may not be a big deal, to me it's simply
amazing. I bought it because the price was finally affordable. I've been
wanting a piece of the moon for a long time now, I finally have it because
the price was right for me.

We'll each decide what these things are worth. No one else.
When I can afford something I'll buy it.

Regards,
Tom Randall

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: