Re: Meteorite "worth"

rmarlin@network-one.com writes:

<<
 Yes, but what happens next June when an H5 falls, and the farmer sits on it
 until he get 100k for it?

 Then it is *not* under our control. Then when an L6 shower happens a month
 later, they'll want 500k.

 Everybody has heard about the prices SNCs command. Why isn't their meteorite
 worth as much, or more? It doesn't help when the first meteorite dealers on
 the scene start trying to "scoop" the others on the new fall.

Hello Gene and List,

I know quite a few people (probably a dozen or more) sitting on meteorites
because they think they are worth a million dollars.  So?  Some even think
they are priceless!  One lady told me in no uncertain terms, that her rock
was from the destroyed Planet Photon sent to her farm by God, and there was
no amount of money that would get her to part with it.  All these folks keep
them locked away from both public and private greedy collectors.

And most of these folks have been sitting on these for a lot longer than the
media and dealers have been "running up prices."

I remember one meteorite that I bought from a farmer a while back that
Nininger had offered the guy $50 for 45 years earlier.  I offered him $500
and he jumped on it cause it was a lot more than what the last guy (Nininger)
offered.  Well, if the guy had thought about it, $50 invested in real estate
or the stock market 45 years ago would be worth a whole lot more than $500
today.  But sometimes it takes a few years for it to sink in that these are
no really worth all that much either.

I have some Ashmore I was cutting today that was an end piece from a farmer
who sold the main mass to Huss in 1969.  The farmer died a few months back
and the family wanted to sell this piece now.

See, that is one thing museums and research facilities have going for them
that we mortals don't, 500 years from now, most of our little private
collections will have been absorbed into their collections.  In fact many of
the present large public collections were once part of several if not many
private collections.

Steve

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: