Re: Meteorite "worth" (short, but "warning" nonetheless...)

>Steve, our entire little meteorite-value-waltz lately was sparked by the
>following brief exchange:
>
>Steve:
><< ......what dealers sell meteorites  for-- not what
>    they are actually worth. >>
>
>Gregory:
>>I am unclear what this means.  Isn't a meteorite "worth" what someone will
>>pay for it?
>
>You took me to task for that statement (quite eloquently, I might add), but
>now on page 16       ;>)     of your most recent post you say:
>
><< The only thing that determines what they command on the open market is
> as you say--
> what people pay.    >>
>
>So, can I assume we're now in agreement?   (A pleasure sparring with you!)

Yes, on that we are in agreenment.  Being a true, red, white and blue
American "free market" capitalist, I have always felt that open market
policy is the best.

Somehow, as we went along in our discussion that became eclipsed and the
impression may have been made that I am in for "price controls"-- not so.

However, as I tried to get across, the *worth* of meteorites is determined
more by *whim*, *fancy*, and demand sparked by scientific interest, and
not by any *intrinsic* value.

Simply stated, meteorites have no intrinsic value, such as gold, silver,
or platinum.

Alarming to me is the notion that like these metals, meteorites
are an "investment."  This perception may be one of the reasons
for the steep increase in meteorite prices.

If so, this could be a real problem for us as collectors, for that
factor in the demand equation is not based on the basic interest that
we as collectors share.  Profit is the primary motive for this new
breed of meteorite enthusiast.

For us, that is not so.  (I hope)

But, yes, on the demand, supply issue you are right.  And, yes it has
been a pleasure debating with you.  I hope that our sparring has
provoked others to consider this *touchy* subject in greater depth.

Sincerely,

Steve Schoner

American Meteorite Survey
Flagstaff, Arizona