Re: Fw: Meteorite "worth"

><< It seems to me y'all ar
> engaged in a sophmoric argument centered on semantics >>
>
>Well Michael, at last count Steve S., Steve A., Peri, Tom, Stuart,
>John, Larry, Gene, Julia, Geoff, and Dave (a pretty fair
>collection of talent, wouldn't you say?) have all seen fit
>to contribute their individual <<sophomoric>> opinions
>to the discussion  -  a not-inconsequential percentage of the
>active members on the list.
>
><<One "argument" is as "valid" as the next>>
>
>Surely you don't honestly believe that!

I hope he doesn't !

This relativistic, "you feel good, I feel good" thinking of the
1990's is to me-- sickening.

><<Debating who is "right" or "wrong" is futile>>

We are not debating who is "right" or "wrong", but instead in the
spirit of a debate on an intellectual level trying to arrive at
a consensus of what is true and what is false.

My central point with regards to meteorites is that they in and
of themselves do not have *intrinsic* value, such as gold has
*intrinsic* value.

Gregory's point is that meteorite's value is determined by supply
and demand.

Both statements are in my opinion true.

Our debate was over the finer definitions of *intrinsic value*,
*worth*, and *supply and demand*, and to some extent how outside
factors affect the prices of the items that we collect.

Price, worth, and might I add the subject of intrinsic value of
meteorites have come up on this list many, many times.  And though
it may vex some as a mere "I am right, you are wrong argument" I
think this last round has demonstrated that it is not just that,
but instead a subject that should be *discussed*.

Gregory and I reached an agreement of what is true, and what is
false, not "who is right, and who is wrong".

Discovering what is true and false is the objective of any
philosophical argument.

The pricing, an the worth of meteorites should be *discussed*,
*argued*, and *debated*.

For with hard assets such as gold, or commodities, or stocks,
and bonds, such as with the stock market there are channels on
television, and whole pages in newspapers, and in magazines,
where the pricing of these items are *discussed*.

And as long as people continue to put hard earned money down on
these things, (meteorites included) the issue of how much the
are *worth* will be continue to be discussed.

Like it or not, people, whether they be scientists, collectors, or
dealers, or a combination of all three, will want to know if what
they are shelling their money out on is *worth* it.

I think that is in reality "the bottom line"

>Funny, I thought this was a *discussion list*.

That is is, Gregory.  And let us always keep it open to that.

In the spirit of friendship, and the common interest that brings
us together.

Steve Schoner
AMS

Archives located at: