Re: Mars topography map

> > It seems to me that the Hellas basin impact site may have caused the
> > volcanic eruptions on the other side of Mars - they look like they are
> > 180 degrees away from each other.
> Approximate coordinates of the Tharsis volcanoes:
> (-15° S) - (+30° N) and 90° - 120° W
> Coordinates of the Hellas Basin:
> -45° S and 290° W

What about Alba Patera? I recall that it lies nearly exactly on the far end
of the planet when looked from Hellas. In addition, it is an old (older
than Hellas) volcanic structure and thus already had the means for more
volcanism.. so if any volcanism was induced by Hellas impact, it would
have occured there...?

--
|         Jarmo Korteniemi,  student @            __o\._/\
| Dept. of Astronomy, University of Oulu, Finland '^^_)\^\)
|     http://www.student.oulu.fi/~jkorteni/         _(._)._.
| (-: I don't know what apathy is, nor do I care! :-)

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: