Re: Mir Space Station

>I saw on the news last night that the MIR Space Station is to be abandoned and
>fall back to earth like Skylab.

That's true.  Mir will be abandoned in August, and reenter into Earth's
atmosphere in February or March of next year.

>I was wondering if the "fall" could be directed
>to a desert somewhere (preferable near my home), so we could go collect the
>pieces.  Does the craft have the ability to do this or will it be anybody's
>guess like skylab.

The Russians would like to have it land in the ocean. However, they
apparently don't have enough money to be able to guide it to where they want,
and it may just fall on its own accord and out of control.

See:

http://www.flatoday.com/space/today/060399i.htm

Ron Baalke

Archives located at: