Re: Close-Call Asteroid Coming

-----Original Message-----
From: Darryl S. Futrell <futrelds@gte.net>
To: E. L. Jones <jonee@epix.net>; meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
<meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: Close-Call Asteroid Coming

Gene Marlin wrote, in part: "...Most important is the dust and crop failure
that would follow"..."imagine what a year long frost and clouded skies can
do,"

This is exactly the part of scenario that I don't agree with!  I bet an 1 km
diam asteroid impact would put into the upper atmosphere probably no more
fine dust particles than put there by any of the larger volcanic eruptions
that have occurred over the past several decades (and many of these kept
putting fine dust into the upper atmosphere for many months).
    I say this "KT worldwide dust cloud that obscured the sun for decades or
hundreds of years" or however long they say, is only a theory invented by
some "impact" people to justify the distribution of the worldwide KT clay
layer (that was originally mostly microtektites).  This is impossible, as
glass spheres, many exceeding 1 mm diam., could not possibly be blown all
around the earth in the upper atmosphere, to fall everywhere.  They are way
too heavy, and would all fall out locally.
    Now, some people are claiming that, instead, terrestrial impact ejecta
might have formed a ring around the earth that could have lowered the
earth's temperature long enough to chill out the dinosaurs (mentioned in the
April DISCOVERY and described to the List by Louis Varricchio back on March
22).  But, as Louis explained back then, this is impossible, because John A.
O'Keefe pointed out decades ago that, even if terrestrial ejecta could
somehow be ejected into space, it could not reach a stable, geocentric
orbit, etc.
    O'Keefe (in papers published in 1980, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1994, & 1995)
points out that a cloud of volcanic ash (microtektites) ejected from the
moon CAN form a ring around the earth.  Iridium in both lunar and
terrestrial volcanism can equal that found in the KT.  I have a chart on
this. and other items including the references listed above, that I would be
happy to snail mail to anyone.  A good % of the shocked quartz grains found
in the KT layer could have arrived with the microtektites.  Photos and
descriptions of the physical proof that microtektites are lunar
pyroclastics, and layered tektites are welded microtektites, can be found in
my Feb., March, & July Rock & Gem article.   D. Futrell

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: