Re: Looking for Info on Jerome Chondrite(Idaho)

Elton kindly asked:
>Does anyone have the any info(e.g. history, petrology and etc.) on a
>Chondrite from Jerome Idaho?  It is not in my BMNH Catalogue so I assume
>it is post 1984.

Hello Elton,

Interesting request since I happen to be headed to Jerome, Idaho to do some
computer training today.

Here is the current information about Jerome.

Jerome County, Idaho, USA.
Stone: Chondrite, Olivine-Hypersthene, L.
Found: 1954.
Total known weight: 6.8 kg. (only one stone was found).

I have a photographs of the main mass of Jerome and a large slice posted in
the Gallery of the Meteorite Exchange. Here is a direct URL:
http://www.meteorite.com/gallery/jerome_idaho.htm

A little over a year ago, I gave a small slice to the Smithsonian for their
collection. Maybe they will do a more detailed petrologic examination of
the specimen. As you can see from my picture of the slice, it is not a very
exciting specimen and is probably an L6 (just a guess).

Cheers,

Martin

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: