Jerome (Idaho)

Hello Elton, Martin, and List,

Elton wrote:

> It is not in my BMNH Catalogue ...

Elton, take my glasses, go and look again. :-)
Both Jeromes are there on p. 180 of the 4th
edition of the Big Blue Book.

Martin wrote:

> Jerome County, Idaho, USA.
> Stone: Chondrite, Olivine-Hypersthene, L.
> Found: 1954.
> Total known weight: 6.8 kg. (only one stone was found)

Let me add the coordinates:

42° 38' N   /   114° 50' W

> ... it is not a very exciting specimen
> and is probably an L6 (just a guess).

I bought an 8.7 gr partslice from the Zeitschels in 1987 and if it
really is a genuine Jerome (Idaho), it looks very exciting to me.
It has clearly visible shock veins and may even be brecciated.

> it ... is probably an L6 (just a guess).

According to B. Mason, GCA, 1963, 27, p.1011, it has a fayalite content
of Fa24.

I back-checked the Fa24 content in my database and found:

a) 006 L chondrites
b) 001 L-LL6 chondrite
c) 001 L3 chondrite
d) 013 L4 chondrites
e) 033 L5 chondrites
f) 106 L6 chondrites

Martin is probably right if the fayalite content is still correct
because by far the largest number of these chondrites have a
fayalite value of 24.

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at: