Re: K/T extinctor

At 09:00 04.06.99 -0500, you wrote:
>"Year Without a Summer' was 1816--the year after the Tambora eruption in
>Indonesia.  Volcanoes can put a lot of iridium into the environment--whether
>they'd be terrestrial or lunar (assuming the ejecta reaches Earth).

This would mean that the iridium argument for Chicxulub is a non-argument then!
I had no knowledge that volcanoes could do this.
Just a thought - wouldn't it be possible to find a difference between impactor
origined and volcano produced iridium. That is  - in the other components of
the
iridium layer (or isotopic differences etc.)

N.B.
>There are many examples of K-T boundary layer outcrops where no so-called
>impactor fingerprints are detectable.  This is curious thing!

What components do you actually  put into the notion 'impactor fingerprints',
I don't get what you actually mean by this?

BTW, what is the author of and name of article which attribute
volcanic origin to the Chicxulub structures?

Bjørn Sørheim

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: