Re: Catch a Falling Star ... (Part 1 of 2)

... and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day :-)

Jim Hurley schrieb:

> ... , when did Dr. Nininger die?

Harvey Harlow Nininger (1887-1986)

> I had always pronounced his name 'nin in jer', but
> reading as he was German, I suppose it is 'nin in ger'.

Both pronunciations are correct, Jim. A German would pronounce his name
'nin in ger', an English-speaking person 'nin in jer'. It is the same
with Henry Kissinger's name; he was born and raised in Nuremberg, before
his family emigrated to the States because of the Nazi persecutions of
Jewish people here in Germany.

> I was wondering if the lack of respect he received ... was due to
> his being a former biologist - with no educational system training
> in minerology or geology, etc.

Right! - And I would add his unconventional "Bob Haag-like" manner on
the one hand, and his never-ending quarrels and personal animosities
with LaPaz on the other - and last but not least  e n v y :

MARVIN U.B. (1993) The Meteoritical Society 1933-1993 (Meteoritics 28-3,
1993, p. 273):

We need not ask whether or not Nininger received his requested specimens
of Norton County from the Institute of Meteoritics.
LaPaz evidently felt deeply that meteorities should be raised from the
realm of dealers, hobbyists, and amateur collectors and established as
an academic discipline to be pursued in universities, preferably by
professors like himself who held Ph.D. degrees in mathematics, physics,
or astronomy. Not only did he deplore Nininger's selling of meteorites
at his museum, he was scandalized when Nininger brought specimens to
Society meetings and offered them for sale. In all probability, LaPaz
saw dealers as posing a genuine threat to research opportunities by
inflating the prices of meteorites. He may also have felt a whiff of the
disdain toward "men-in-trade" that was traditional among gentlemanly
scholars on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.

Best regards,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: