Re: Nemesis - No point to miss

>Yes.  A better explanation for the periodicity in
>extinctions is Clube and Napier's hypothesis that our
>Solar Sytem passes through the plane of our galaxy the
>Milky Way, and that this dislodges POTENTIAL impactors
>from the Oort Cloud.  More...

I'm not so sure about that. Wolfendale & Wilkinson have undertaken a study
of the Solar System's passage through the Galactic plane and were unable to
find anything sufficiently massive to have the desired effect.

My gut feeling, for what it is worth, is that while the K/T event was
probably due to a giant impactor, the other mass extinctions probably were
not. The lack of recent extinction episodes is consistent with an evolving
Earth in which geo-catastrophic events decline with time as the Earth
settles into a state of equilibrium.

Phil Bagnall
www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk

Archives located at: