Re: Nakhla

Michael B:
>  .....we (dealers) tend to be VERY enthusiastic in our
>  appreciation of the various aspects of meteorites ....  so, often,
>   what may be heard as "hype" is REALLY genuine enthusiasm.

It seems to me that folks making the "dog reference" are not dealing in hype,
they are probably merely reporting what they have honestly researched.
My "Big Blue" (British Museum Catalog of Meteorites) says "One of the
stones killed a dog".   My ARN "History of Meteorites" (title page dated
1997)
says "One of the stones killed a dog".  If, indeed, this reference is
apocryphal,
then it needs to be corrected in future editions of comprehensive catalogues,
but
until then it seems perfectly understandable for people to assume its
veracity.
I, for one, would like to know how the "myth" originated, and why it has been
erroneously reinforced for so many years.   (Monica, what sayeth the British
Museum in the eagerly anticipated new catalog?!)
Gregory

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: